Friday, January 6, 2012

Funeral Potatoes

Utah Oddity - Funeral Potatoes

I had to make these yummy potatoes for our Christmas Eve dinner.  I love them.  It's probably a recipe that many have used, but in Utah, they are called funeral potatoes.  Why?  Because this is a dish that is served at most Mormon funerals.


When someone of the Latter-day Saint faith (Mormon) passes away, the family gathers after the funeral for a luncheon.  The people of the church (ward) makes food for the family and serves them.  It is usually a meal of ham, funeral potatoes, salads, veges and dessert.  But almost ALWAYS the potatoes are there.  It is the best comfort food.  And comfort food is what is needed after a loved one has passed away.  I have been on both the receiving end and the giving end of this tradition.

When I first moved to Utah, I had these at some dinner function.  I remember thinking that those were so good!  Since then, I see them everywhere.  And I make them quite a bit.  Several years ago, I heard them being called funeral potatoes and the name stuck.  Actually, during the 2002 Winter Olympics in SLC, one of the souvenirs included a pin with an image of my beloved funeral potatoes!  Man, I wish I would've found that pin!  Yummy!  I'll even include the recipe for you!


Ingredients

How to make it

  • Grease 9x13 baking dish and preheat oven to 350
  • In large bowl combine soups, sour cream, cheese, onions, and the 1/2 cup of melted butter.
  • Gently fold hash browns into mixture.
  • Pour mixture into pan.
  • Combine crushed corn flakes and the 2 Tbs. of melted butter and sprinkle on top of potato mixture.
  • Bake for 30 minutes.
  • *If wanting to, you can use cubed potatoes instead of hash browns but you will need to increase baking time to 55 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment