Thursday, March 1, 2012

Drama at the OK Corral

Oh my sin! (MSW) - another term for oh h-e-double hockey sticks.

We had a bit of drama at our house the other day.  We always have some drama because, let's face it, it's a house with 3 girls, 2 of which are hormonal.  The 3rd girl, though only 8 years old, is the worst!  But this amount of drama is very rare in our home.  Where do I begin?

It started with Apple.  She had a doctor's appointment on Monday for the dermatologist.  She has several very small cysts on her face.  They kind of look like acne, but they don't go away.  I thought maybe they were warts of something.  But luckily it wasn't that!  This was our second visit for them.  Last time they gave her some special injection into the cyst to make them disappear.  It worked for all of them but one.   So we went back in.  They decided to surgically remove the cyst in an easy office procedure.  They numbed the area and cut the thing out.  It was kind of cool actually.  I guess I missed my calling to be a doctor!  This wasn't too dramatic.  She did great and home we went.

Apple, who is 15, decided when we got home that her and her friend would take the dogs (Patches and Rufus) for a walk.  Off they went!  I didn't think twice about it.  About a 1/2 hour later, I was talking with my sister in law who lives 5 houses down the road.  She looked outside and saw Apple crying and thought I better get down there.  Crying wasn't exactly what she was doing.  Bawling or sobbing would the correct term.  A tad bit hysterical possibly.  But for good reason.

While out on the walk, a large dog, about 105 lbs, got out of his yard and attacked my 15 lb puggle, Rufus.  The dog picked up Rufus, from the back hind quarters, and shook him like a rag doll.  The dogs were on a leash, so there was no reason for this dog to do it.  But the dog must have seen them, got out of his house somehow, and decided it was his territory.

Apple was very brave.  She kicked the dog several times.  Our bigger dog, Patches, attacked the dog and got him to let Rufus go.  Once Rufus was loose, Apple grabbed him and started to run away.  Patches had to be pried loose and her friend grabbed him and started running as well.  It is lucky that the dog didn't hurt them or chase after them.  There were several 5 and 6 year old kids there too.  Luckily the dog didn't attack them.

I ran down there to see her crying and carrying the dog.  Blood was on her coat.  Her and her friend were so upset.  Can you blame them?  Meanwhile, my younger kids saw me running down the street and followed me.  They saw the blood and started bawling.  So, I'm in the middle of the street with 3 of my kids crying on the verge of hysteria.  Oscar came out of the house along with Macaroni to see what was up.

Macaroni heard the story, grabbed the scooter, and took off  down the road where the dog attacked ours.  I think his plan was to beat the living snot out of the dog with the scooter.  I can't be too sure, but from the look on his face, I gather that was his intention.  Luckily the "big bad dog" was brought in the house by his owners.  Oscar meanwhile took the whining dog and went home to wash him off.  After about 45 minutes the crying and drama calmed down.

While Oscar cleaned up the dog, I went and talked to the owners of the big bad dog.  They felt awful and expressed that the dog never had done anything like it.  I don't know if I believed them or not, but their heart was in the right place.  They were concerned for the dogs and the girls.

We thought Rufus was OK at first.  He was sore and upset, but we couldn't see him bleeding anymore.  Until the next day.  I woke up and saw blood on the floor and could see where the bite marks were bleeding.  Into the vet we went!  $250 later, along with 4 different medicines, Rufus is on the mend!

Poor dog.  Not very fun.  He slept most of the day yesterday, but seems a little more like his obnoxious pita self today.  Oh the joys of pets!

2 comments:

stacy

So sorry for Rufus. That is traumatic!! Hope he gets well soon! Tell "Apple" I miss her and think about her often!

shortandsweet

I saw some of the ordeal. That dog is extremely loud, mean and scary. It chases people (grown men) and seems as though it will do the same to them. They have had many complaints and they need to do something about it- hopefully get rid of it before it kills a small child.

Post a Comment