Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Coupons....not too extreme

Scrud (MSW) - I guess you can use another s-word for this one.  This is a "Guest" swearword from my friend, Spud, she's from Idaho!

Have you seen that show Extreme Couponing?  I have a love/hate relationship with that show and with couponing in general.  I love to coupon.  It has been a bit of an addiction for me.  I love going into the store and getting stuff for free.  I am such a cheap-skate!  I love getting to the register and seeing how much I spent before and after.  Yesterday, I spent $175 but after my coupons and store rewards, I spent $60.  Not too shabby!  I got toothpaste for free!  Actually the store paid me 1cent for me to buy it.  I've always couponed on and off during the years.  But that show got me going strong.  Over the last several months, I've got so much for free!  First aid kits, band-aids, shampoo, conditioner, hair ties, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, lotion, etc... Mostly personal hygiene stuff.  Food and snacks I can get just at a discounted price.  Unfortunately, stores in Utah do not do double coupons.  So we have a huge disadvantage here. 

However, some stores down in Utah County (happy valley) are now doing double coupons.  Let me tell  you, Utah woman + free = CRAZY TOWN!!  People are nuts!  I went down to a store a little over a month ago to stock up on stuff that with the double coupons would be a great deal.  I wanted 10 boxes of band aids.  10 boxes would last me over a year and I thought it would be great to donate some to the school.  The store was sold out completely.  There were 4 woman there with 200 boxes each!  Really, if I see those things being sold at a yard sale, I'm taking you down!  I will tackle you and probably beat you up!  Maybe some hair pulling to add some extra anger your way. I wanted 10 lousy boxes and you by 200 at a time!  See, that is my hate for couponing.

This is about $4000 worth of coupons, if not more!


The other aspect of my love/hate relationship with couponing is the time it takes.  On Sunday, there were 3 inserts of coupons in the paper.  The week before, none.  Really?  Can't we spread this out a bit?  I spent Sunday evening cutting coupons and I was only 1/2 way done.  It took me 2-3 hours and I was exhausted.  So I finished up yesterday afternoon.  Another couple of hours clipping and organizing.  It is definitely labor intensive.  But I have a great stockpile of coupons!  I have a huge binder that I use to clip and organize them in.  I have awesome neighbors (and mother-in-law) that will give me their coupons.  So that way I can buy more than a few items at a time.  But it takes so much time!!  I finally got everything clipped and organized yesterday by dinner time.  A neighbor dropped off more coupons.

Oh scrud!  Off to clip some more!!
This binder weighs a ton! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment