Saturday, August 27, 2011

Language skills

Schiess - this is not a mormon swearword.  It is actually a German swearword.  I didn't spell it right on purpose though.  That way I feel less guilty!

I was very fortunate to be able to travel quite a bit when I was younger.  I traveled through Europe and loved the language, the culture and the people.  One of my favorite places was Germany.  It is such a beautiful country with such a tragic history and incredibly wonderful people.  Plus, bratwurst.  Need I say more? 

Most of you are aware that young Mormon boys and girls go out and serve missions for the church.  What that means is that they go away for at least 1 1/2 years to teach people about the gospel and the blessings it brings.  With that being said, most young missionaries want to go someplace foreign.  Can you blame them?  Being called on a mission to Akron, Ohio isn't nearly as exciting as Paris, France!  With the foreign missions, the missionaries have to learn the language. 

Which brings me to my point.  I think it's hilarious that some people will swear, but just in another language.  It's not swearing if it isn't your native tongue, right?  I will on occasion say something in German or French.  Sadly enough, when I say something in German or French, I probably am not making sense since I can't remember a whole lot of the language.  But again, it's not real since it isn't English.  I have a great friend that will get frustrated and mumble in Italian (he served his mission in Rome).  I don't know what he is saying, obviously, but I wonder.....is he swearing?  Can I blame him?  No, since I have been known to do the same.  Oscar the grouch served his mission speaking Spanish.  But I've never heard him swear in it.  At least I don't think he has since he is also Mr. Innocent. 

On a totally different topic, I vowed I would never marry a man who spoke a Spanish speaking mission.  I also vowed I wouldn't marry a man whose last name started with the letter "H."  I hate writing cursive "H."  Or who weighed less than me.  Schiess, I did all three!

1 comments:

me

You also dated guys who drove station wagons, also a nono on your list! Good thing you are not playing baseball, you've got four strikes ! (Quatre (4) Schiess)

Post a Comment